[Synapse elist] Zoëart

Oron Catts oron at symbiotica.uwa.edu.au
Thu Mar 6 20:20:19 CST 2008

Hi all

Greeting from Bangalore,

There where some very interesting points raised by Monika and Jens and I hope to have time this weekend to get deeper into that.

In the meantime:

The idea that in" vitalist theories it is more important what they do than what they actually say" is the non-verbal power of art. So it is good to be reminded, as Jens pointed out, that Moholy-Nagy suggestion is indeed what we do and not what we say.

Does biological art have some kind of a neo-vitalist agenda?

Can this non-verbal approach bring people (who exactly?) to some kind of a phenomenological vitalist realisation of sorts?

How is that related to what Monika refers to post-anthropocentric philosophy?

As Jens mentioned, Monika also reminds us about the notion of Zoë, it will be nice to hear more about that. As it seems that much of the biological art works seem to engage with the Zoë rather then the Bio. Maybe we should talk about Zoë-phila and Zoëart...

And finally I would like (without falling too deep into the amateur philosopher niche that Jens was so kind to remind us about...) to know more from Monika (who is the "real" philosopher here) about the notion of anti-essentialist vitality. Not sure if I can see how that can happen as it is almost as contradictory as secular vitalism...

Oron

Oron Catts
Director
SymbioticA- The Art & Science Collaborative Research Laboratory.
School of Anatomy & Human Biology.
University of Western Australia

Phone:+61 (0)8- 6488 7116
Fax: +61 (0)8- 6488 1051
mobile 0411 686 121
www.symbiotica.uwa.edu.au <http://www.symbiotica.uwa.edu.au/>
www.tca.uwa.edu.au <http://www.tca.uwa.edu.au/>

CRICOS Provider No. 00126
Winner of the 2007 inaugural Prix Ars Electronica Golden Nica in Hybrid Art